Image Map ">

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Making Math Fun!

Hello there everyone!  This school year has gotten off to a very busy start.  When I first started this blog, I thought that it would be easy to blog at least once a week.  Boy was I wrong!  We have had so many changes at my school and in my grade level that it has been hard to keep up!!  Now that we are hitting our groove as a class, I promise to be on here more often sharing all the wonderful things that we are doing.

At the end of the last school year, each grade level team in our school was given some money to spend on math materials and manipulatives to support the switch to common core math.  Before that, it had been an  i n c r e d i b l y loooong time since we had received any new math materials.  Needless to say, we teachers were extremely excited!  We had no trouble finding ways to spend the allotted money.  One of the items that we bought were these nifty place value dice from Lakeshore.
Our packages arrived just before the end of the school year.  We ooh'ed and aah'ed and then promptly packed our purchases away for the summer.

This school year, I have a group of gifted and accelerated kiddos for math.  I am always looking for hands on ways to extend their learning.  During our unit on rounding, I pulled these dice out and tried to figure out a fun yet educational way to use them.   The following game was born! 

I know that the title is less than imaginative, but the kids
L O V E D it!  They had a great time playing the game with a partner.



My goal with the game was to reinforce the relationship between rounding to the tens and rounding to the hundreds.  In order to do this, the children had to roll the dice, record the number, and then round that number to both the nearest ten and the nearest hundred.  After playing the game, I was confident that the children had mastered the concept of rounding.  Click on the link to grab a copy of the recording sheet for your class!

1 comment:

  1. This seems like a really fun math resource. They struggle so much with place value. Found you through Farley's linky party.
    ~April Walker
    The Idea Backpack

    ReplyDelete